Friday, August 30, 2013

How to remove SkypEmoticons malware - Part 1


"Your skype does not support extended icons. Please download the extension here: 
http://skypemoticonsb.asia/index.php?skype=1"

SkypEmoticon is a malware so do not install any kind of new extensions for viewing skype animated icons. Please install the animated icons from well reputed companies do not install them on your friend's request. 
Anyways I installed it and it started disturbing my chat as well. It automatically added new line after every sentence and start sending the above blue sentence as well almost with every sentence of emoticon. Surprisingly, no antivirus recognizes it. :(

So here are the following steps to remove it:
1- Uninstall SkypEmoticons from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

but it is still there
2 - So go to your Task Manager



3 - Right click and Open file location like that

4 - As the folder opens, click End task the SkypEmoticons (32 bit) process from task manager and then delete the folder named SkypEmoticons from Roaming folder as in the image. Usually the path is "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SkypEmoticons"


5 - Now you are free from this malware. :)

31 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I got the message from a new person who added me last day,I didnt click the link,I fear it is a virus,will my skype be infected?
    What can I do at the moment,is my skype safe?
    thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not click this link, there is a malware hidden in this link and do not install anything from thatlink

      Delete
  2. Thanks for much Asad. I tried so many ways to delete that annoying Skypemoticons file. Your method is the only one that works. I will share this post on the official Skype forum with people who have experienced the same problem. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend got it. It seems to have piggy-backed on something called OptimizePro. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it could be OptimizePro but it is very irritating. It adds extra line in skype text and without your knowledge it sends urls to ur friends. That is not acceptable in any case.

      Delete
  4. JOMO FAUSTINO - BRASILSeptember 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

    MUITO OBRIGADO!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks a lot, it's very usefull

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much!!! this was so helpful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your post but i have not found in task manager process. and it still working. If you have any solution for this then tell me please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be in latest attack its name or icon would be changed. Please check it carefully. It should be there.

      Delete
  9. Hi, please help!
    I've followed your steps but I still can't delete it!! It's stuck in my folders and keeps giving me the 'try again or cancel' message. Many people are saying this is a virus and I'm starting to think they're right!
    Please please help.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, without seeing your system i cant say any thing. If you give me ur teamviewer credentials then i will be able to say something. Otherwise these steps should remove this issue. You can see the above comments. or you can talk to me on my Skype: asad.naeem

      Delete
  10. Hi ! I can't remove it. It's still on my computer. What should i do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to follow Part 2 on my blog. May it would help you. If it does not work then let me know. I will fix ur issue definitely.

      Delete
  11. Do you have any idea on how to remove the same on Ubuntu OS or Linux?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is cool! thank you for sharing some coding for skype smileys and emoticons. Well skype is really amazing for using these stuff to help their users express his/her thoughts or what they feel to someone he chat with. Visit More Info :- Skype support Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

    ReplyDelete